Tuesday, June 29, 2021

#8 Abilene

 As a native Texan and reader of Texas Monthly and Texas Highways, I have heard enough about West Texas over the years to know I needed to visit it at some point in my life.  On the cusp of turning 50 and coming out of a pandemic, I decided there was no better time than now to head out West.  My next few entries are devoted to my West Texas adventures.

First up, Abilene, the Storybook Capital of America.  The National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature is in downtown Abilene.  They exhibit the original artwork of children's illustrators which is so amazing!  As an elementary educator, I am all about the picture book!  They truly are works of art, so it was really nice to go to a place that celebrates that particular art form.  The current exhibit is the artwork of Loren Long.  Abilene also has the largest public collection of storybook characters, with over 25 statues throughout the city.  I took a stroll through Evans Park which has several Dr. Seuss characters.  Throughout the downtown area, there are also inspirational quotes from authors carved into some kind of marble or rock.

  




  

  

When I was ready to cool off, I checked out The Grace Museum.  It was originally a hotel, but in more recent times, has become a great museum that integrated American art with a Texas influence.   Once of the current collections on display is from Sherry Owens; she works primarily with crepe myrtle.  Yes, you read that correctly . . . crepe myrtle and it was fascinating!  Her creative use of this plant is inspiring and mind blowing.  




This backdrop is some of that crepe myrtle art!
 
While I was downtown, I also checked out Candies by Vletas, an Abilene institution for over 100 years!  It is a chocolate lover's dream.  They will ship to you, although they recommend waiting until the fall or winter.  My last stop before finding my hotel was McKay's Bakery for some classic thumbprint cookies.  When you are in Abilene, you'll definitely want to add both of these sweet stops to your list.

  

Also, I don't know that this guy is from a book, but I do love me some flamingos, so I just had to get a picture or two.  How awesome is he?!?  Talk about a great piece of yard art!


Next stop, Buffalo Gap!

No comments:

Post a Comment