Wednesday, June 30, 2021

#17 Marathon

Last, but not least, a lunch stop in Marathon, about 30 minutes east of Alpine on Highway 90.  Marathon might have been the smallest town I visited with a population of less than 400.  But they are bustling for such a small town.  Marathon is home to the Gage Hotel, another historic hotel that has been around for decades.  It was designed by Henry Trost out of El Paso; Trost is considered to be the first nationally recognized architect from Texas and his style is distinct.  


 

The rain followed me from Alpine, so I was limited in my adventures.  I did manage to stop off at the French Grocer & Deli, the Marathon Public Library, and the site of the first schoolhouse in Brewster County.



I did get to have lunch at Brick Vault & Brewery which is next to the Gage.  I knew it would be legit, because Daniel Vaughn of Texas Monthly had reviewed it and listed it as one of the top new BBQ places in Texas when it opened a few years ago. It did not disappoint!  Check out my picture and you know that brisket was smoked to perfection.  The borracho beans were packed full of flavor and the green chili mac & cheese was creamy and wonderfully cheesy.




No comments:

Post a Comment