Tuesday, June 29, 2021

#12 Chihuanhuan Desert Nature Center

 

The Chihuanhuan Desert Nature Center is an absolute must!  There are four different walking trails you can do, all at varying degrees of difficulty and length.  Since I was by myself, without a walking stick, and not an experienced hiker, I thought it best to stick to the Upper Loop.  Plus, I knew I wanted  a lot of time in the botanical garden.  If I were to go back, I would try one of the harder trails, like the one that takes you through a canyon.  In addition to a walking stick, I also recommend taking the following:

  • bug spray
  • sunscreen
  • water (I had 2 bottles and had to refill one for the ride home)
  • binoculars (Yes, that is the McDonald Observatory you see in the distance)




The Upper Loop hike was great!  I got there first thing in the morning, so it was cool-ish and I had the place to myself.  I really loved walking through the various parts of the botanical garden though.  So many incredible species of plants you just don't see living in the city.  At the end of that particular trail is the cactus greenhouse with 200+ species of cacti!  Isn't that awesome!  I took approximately a bajillion pictures because everything was just so interesting and beautiful.  These are just a few of my favorites.









Do yourself a favor and put the CDNC on your list of places to visit when you are in West Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment