Tuesday, June 29, 2021

#14 Fort Davis

Let me start off by saying I had no idea that Fort Davis was so small; it's population fluctuates between 1000 and 1100 people.  When I was researching about the things to do there, I really thought it would be a bit bigger, like at least 5000 people.  But, nope, much smaller, as evidenced by the lack of a CVS or Walgreens, or any fast food chain.  It was actually quite nice.  It reminded me a bit of Colorado.  Small and picturesque which some great local experiences.

I stayed at Hotel Limpia, which was built in 1912. I adored this hotel, including the front porch with rockers where I could enjoy my book waiting for my day to begin.  It isn't a modern hotel, but it is clean, comfortable, convenient, and historical, so a winner in my book.




It shares this amazing outdoor space with Blue Mountain Bar & Grill (they'll give you a discount when you dine there) and the food is top notch.  Like Perini's in Buffalo Gap, their customer service is exemplary.  They want you to enjoy your time there and are very accommodating.  Next door to Blue Mountain is the Double Shot Coffee Lounge, a great place to start your day with a cup of coffee and a pastry.

Across the street is the Fort Davis Drugstore & Hotel.  A few you of you told me about this place, so I tried it out for lunch one day.  I got the Cowboy Burger and onion rings and it was legit.  I think there was an entire package of crispy bacon on my burger which was awesome.  I loved how they put the cheese on the bacon and then melted it.  A different approach, but it worked.  The onion rings were pretty fabulous, too.  Not my favorite (that honor belongs to the Koffee Kup in Hico), but a close second.


My last morning in Fort Davis was spent at the Fort Davis National Park.  All of the structures are the originals from the mid to late 1800s.  It was one of many forts built along the San Antonio to El Paso Road as pioneers began to move out west, originally searching for gold.  The park does a great job of telling the story from the perspective of the U.S. military, but there's always many stories for each event in history.  It would be nice to see the perspective of the Native Americans as the U.S. Army, settlers, and eventually the railroad came into West Texas.  The park also has some trails you can hike if you are so inclined.  If Marfa weren't calling my name, I might have ventured out, but it was time to move on.

Officers' Quarters
  

  


Enlisted Men's Barracks

 
The Hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment