Tuesday, June 29, 2021

#10 & #11 Monahans Sandhills State Park & Pecos

After a breakfast of leftover Perini's, I was ready to head to my first stop of the day, Monahans Sandhills State Park.  

  

The sand dunes at Monahans are what you think of when you think of the Sahara Desert.  Those huge dunes with an everchanging landscape of hills and valleys.  The day I was there, the sky was that perfect Texas summer blue without a cloud in the sky.  It was absolutely breathtaking!  There aren't marked trails, but you are free to roam about and even rent a disk to go sledding down the dunes.  I did attempt the sledding, but the climb up the hills was intense, so I didn't go up very high, which means I didn't have a lot of momentum going down.  But for the first 10 minutes I was there, it was just me, and I was super happy to just sit on my disk and take it all in.  

  

Here are some things I learned from this adventure:

  • While I like traveling by myself, there are just some things that are better with someone else and I would say the sand dunes are one of those things.
  • Go as early in the day as possible.  Especially in June.  The sun is hot and the sand is hotter.
  • Wear tennis shoes.  Or at least don't wear flip flops.  Otherwise you may find yourself digging for a flip flop in the aforementioned really hot sand.
  • After some time at the sand dunes, head into town and get a burger from Howards.  
Not too far from Monahans, is Pecos, home to the world's first rodeo.  

There were just a couple of things on my Pecos list, one being the Judge Roy Bean Courthouse and Jail Replica.  Yes, that's the Judge Roy Bean the 80s restaurant was named after.  He was an unique character, really giving himself the title of judge for the area west of the Pecos River.  I also wanted to check out the West of the Pecos Museum, just to learn a little bit more about what life in the far reaches of Texas was all about.  Pecos has a boot trail with larger than life decorated boots throughout the town.  I didn't get to all of them, but I did find a few.


  


  


Stay tuned for all things Fort Davis!


No comments:

Post a Comment