Wednesday, June 30, 2021

#16 Alpine

Alpine is about 30 miles east of Marfa.  It is home to Sul Ross University and the original Reata restaurant.  Reata is named after the ranch from Giant.

I felt it was important to have dinner at the original Reata.  A lot of really delicious options to choose from, but the chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes was calling my name.  Simple, but oh, so yummy!  And the serving was huge.  Luckily my hotel room had a mini fridge, so I was able to bring my leftovers back with me.  For dessert, I tried the buttermilk pecan pie and it was one of the best pies I have ever had.  I would kill to have that recipe!  Like my chicken fried chicken, the serving was huge; that pie made for a great mid-morning snack the next day.

I walked about Alpine just for a little bit.  By this point in my trip, the 100 degree days had been replaced by rain, so I didn't really get to do the things I had planned.  But that's okay . . . I've already decided that a second trip to West Texas is real possibility.

Out of all of the places I visited, Alpine is the largest with a population of around 5000.  I guess that is due to the fact that Sul Ross State University is located in Alpine.  They also have a baseball team, the Alpine Cowboys.  


    


Last stop, Marathon and then it's time to head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment