Sunday, July 24, 2022

#46 A New State - Wisconsin!

One of my goals is to visit all 50 states and I'm over halfway through.  Lucky for me, my parents believed in the road trip so I did a lot as a kid.  But I still have quite a few to visit.  This summer though, I was able to knock one more off my list . . . Wisconsin!  My family reunion was originally scheduled for Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, but we ended up in the Illinois River Valley instead.  The  good news is, it's only a couple of hours away from Milwaukee, so I decided to head there first.  I was able to pack a ton of things into my two days.

I won't tell you about every single adventure, but I will tell you nothing disappointed.  Milwaukee is a small town city with so much to do!  It is super walkable and the weather was amazing . . .  a great respite from Texas in July.  I stayed at the historic Knickerbocker Hotel on Lake Michigan.  Built in 1929, it has retained its charm and is a great place to stay.

If you know me, then when you look at the things I did, there's probably one thing that might surprise you - the Harley-Davidson Museum.  I'm not a motorcycle kind of girl, so this place wasn't even on my radar.  But I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that every single person I talked to said that it was a must see and since #50by50 is all about new experiences, then I quickly added it to my list of places to visit.  And I'm so glad I did.  I had no idea Harley-Davidson was founded in 1903 right there in Milwaukee.  When you read about the two friends who started the company and how influential Harley-Davidson has been, it really is an interesting story.  Looking at the evolution of the motorcycle, design included, was just as fascinating.




The Bronze Fonz

Fried Cheese Curds!

Pabst Mansion

Butter burger at the Original Sobelman's


Frozen Custard from Kopp's





No comments:

Post a Comment