Friday, July 8, 2022

#43 Being a Tourist in my Hometown

Something I think many of us are guilty of is not taking advantage of the amazing things our hometowns have to offer.  I’ve lived in Tarrant County for 20 years and the city of Fort Worth for almost six years.  But I don’t really know the city of Fort Worth and I haven’t experienced it other than a couple of trips to the zoo as a kid and a few nights out at Sundance Square.  As I worked on my #50by50 list, I knew I needed to include some of my city’s top attractions.

I started my day at the National Cowgirl Museumand Hall of Fame.  If you haven’t been here yet, please put it on your must see list!  

You need just a couple of hours and you’ll get a great look into the history of women who were trailblazers of the West.  I loved Dare to Wear, an exhibit showcasing the gorgeous costumes of women of the rodeo.  The It’s Never Just a Horse exhibit was fascinating as it showed the relationship of many of the museum’s honorees with the horse over time.  The museum is in the Cultural District, which means you could easily visit another museum the same day.  Or, you could move on over to Camp Bowie Blvd. for lunch at one of the many Fort Worth mainstays.  For years, I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about Lucile’s Stateside Bistro, so I decided that would be my next stop.  I didn’t even attempt anything healthy . . . it was all about trying the yummy fried goodness.  Fried green tomatoes and lobster bites!

As I was leaving Lucile’s I noticed a bakery across the street.  There’s no better way to end an adventure than with a sweet treat.  I am so glad I stopped by.  The blue bonnet bakery, which is housed in an old church, has been a Fort Worth tradition since 1934.  I had a little bit of time, so I ordered coffee & cookies and enjoyed my book to wrap up the day.  Side note:  the butter cookies made me so happy!  They reminded me of my childhood and the cookies the bakery at Skaggs would give us as a treat.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment