Friday, July 8, 2022

#45 A Twist on Book Club

I love talking books!  I've got a couple of different book clubs and some friends who I know I can always talk with about current reads.  When I was researching different places in Fort Worth to visit, I was surprised to see that the Amon Carter Museum has a book club of sorts, Bookish.  Each quarter they offer a book discussion that is connected to a current exhibit.  I was intrigued by June's offering - read The City of Falling Angels by  John Berendt in connection with their newest exhibit Sargent, Whistler, and Venetian Glass: American Artists and the Magic of Murano.  Doing a book talk with people I don't know is a little scary, but I thought the topic was interesting and it's important to do things out of our comfort zone.  The exhibit was really interesting.  It wasn't just Venetian glass, but the pieces they did show were unbelievable!  A variety of art forms were displayed from the late 1800s to right before World War I.  The book was also super interesting and informative.  It is non-fiction and you really dive deep into Venetian society & history.  If I didn't want to visit Venice beforehand, this book definitely sealed the deal.  I'm intrigued to see what next quarter's book is and how it's related to their exhibits.





No comments:

Post a Comment