Monday, September 6, 2021

#23 Marker Cellars

My #50by50 adventure continues with a foray to Alvord, a small Texas town about 10 miles northwest of Decatur.  Why, you may be asking, would I venture out to Alvord?  Because it is home to Marker Cellars, a fantastic little winery with beautiful scenery, live music, and of course, a great variety of wine.  It's located in the Bluestem Grasses of the LBJ National Grasslands, which I was not familiar with.  I love that I got to drink wine with friends and learn about this area of Texas nature.


Even if you live on the west side of DFW like I do, you are still looking at an hour drive to Marker Cellars, but it is totally worth the drive.  First of all, it's in the middle of nowhere, so the views are just gorgeous and more importantly, peaceful.  They have a wide selection of wines, so you can choose to do a sweet or dry tasting, or if you know what you want, get a glass or bottle of your favorite.  And if you aren't feeling the wine vibe, Marker Cellars makes ciders as well.  Marker Cellars also lets you bring in your own snacks which only makes an afternoon listening to live music and drinking wine that much better.

       

After our afternoon at Markers Cellars, we headed back towards Decatur to Greenwood Grocery.  While a visit to Greenwood Grocery wasn't a totally new experience for me, going on a Saturday night for the catfish was.  I hadn't been to a catfish dinner in I don't know how many years.  It reminded me of going to the Hilltop on Friday nights when we would visit my grandparents in Nebraska as a kid.  You just can't go wrong with fried catfish on a Saturday night.  It was fried to perfection and served with this little pot of beans.  

       

     

All in all, a great way to spend a Saturday in North Texas.





No comments:

Post a Comment