Thursday, March 16, 2023

J is for Jefferson

Jefferson is a town in East Texas with fewer than 2000 people but with a lot of history.  In the mid 1800s, Jefferson was actually the leading inland port and the commercial hub for northeast Texas.  As the railroad replaced the steamboat though, Jefferson's role in commerce declined as did its population.  Today, Jefferson is know for its bed & breakfasts and is purported to be one of the most haunted towns in Texas.  There are a ton of unique restaurant, boutiques, and antique shops to visit, as well as several historical sites.  The day I visited was cool and sunny and I spent my time time going in and out of the many shops.  A word of caution for when you visit.  Several restaurants & shops are closed on Tuesday and even Wednesday.  While I was able to enjoy my time, I would have had more options later in the week.  I happily recommend both places I ate; A Taste of Caddo and 1852 on Austin.  A Taste of Caddo is all about southern comfort food; I enjoyed a basket of fried fish and shrimp. 1852 on Austin is more upscale, although there isn't a upscale dress code.  The wedge salad was delicious and I was able to save room for a slice of Bourbon Pecan Pie.  You can easily turn Jefferson into a weekend trip with friends.

  

From A Taste of Caddo . . .yum!

Be sure to read about Jay Gould and Jefferson here.  Love the irony.


No comments:

Post a Comment