Saturday, August 21, 2021

#20 Mothing

 

Mothing is something I didn't know that I wanted to do, but thanks to my friend and colleague, Outdoor Amy, I had a really cool experience in nature.  You can observe moths from your porch at home, but serious mothers have events.  We signed up for a night of mothing at the John Bunker Sands Wetland Center in Seagoville.  As the sun set, we got a general overview of moths.  Did you know that there are more species of moths than butterflies?  And a big difference is that moths come from cocoons; butterflies come from chrysalis.  Their antennae is another big difference.  A moth's antenna are feathery with no ball at the end; butterfly antenna are thin with a ball-like structure at the end.


After our Moth 101 lesson, everyone was free to wander around to visit the moth stations throughout the wetlands.  We took the pathway through the wetlands which was super cool.  The sun had set by now, so I didn't get the full experience of how beautiful it was, but I can just imagine.  We had to rely on our sense of sound and the flashlights on our phones to see some of the amazing things.  It was so peaceful out there and the sounds of nature were just incredible.  The pictures and videos I was able to get really don't do it justice.






No comments:

Post a Comment